Thursday, April 28, 2011

Lost In The Trees @ Media Club, Vancouver, April 27, 2011

 

I've always really liked music but I think until Arcade Fire came along, the overwhelming majority of the bands I listened to were of the traditional drums, guitar and maybe keyboards variety.  Arcade Fire are the first band that I can recall really liking that broke that mold.  So maybe it was just me but they really opened my ears up to alot of new bands and musical sounds.  That difference was definitely what first drew me to Ra Ra Riot, with their violin and cello and also more recently to Lost In The Trees with their wonderful mix of orchestral/indie music.  I'm terrible at describing music but there's 7 in the band and they've got 2 cellos, violin, french horn, tuba, accordian, acoustic guitar and a bunch of other instruments that make some of the most wonderful music together.  Their album, All Alone In An Empty House, was in my top 10 of 2010 and I enjoyed their short set when I caught them at SXSW.  Their show at the Media Club, however, was really on another level.  It's unfortunate that there weren't that many people in attendance because Lost In The Trees played one of the best sets of live music that I've ever been privileged to witness.  Time stood still and for an hour or so it was all that mattered and it was wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment