Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Wolf Parade @ Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver, May 30, 2011




Wolf Parade announced late in 2010 that they were going on 'hiatus' and that their final show was going to be at Sasquatch.  I was very tempted to go to Sasquatch as a result but I thought the rest of the lineup was pretty weak and it turns out it was the right decision since not only were Wolf Parade playing at the same time as Sharon Van Etten (!?!) they announced the Vancouver show for the Monday after they played Sasquatch.  And although festivals are great, the band only played for 45 minutes at Sasquatch ... the Commodore set included two encores and went almost 2 hours.  It must be quite strange for a band to know they're playing songs together for the final time and they seemed a bit nervous early on but after a few songs, they hit their stride and well, I hope it's only a hiatus and not a breakup because Wolf Parade are one of my favourite bands and they're as good as any band I've ever seen live.  I couldn't ask for anything more if it was the final time I get to see them but I really really hope it isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment