Friday, October 21, 2011

We Were Promised Jetpacks @ The Knitting Factory, CMJ, October 20, 2011


One of the reasons I ended up going to Monolith was because We Were Promised Jetpacks were playing.  I'd discovered them earlier that summer and became a big fan instantly.  I didn't think I'd get a chance to see them for a while so I got on the plane to Colorado.  I ended up seeing them in Chicago about a month later as well.  They finally made their Vancouver debut in February 2010 so, funnily enough, I went from not thinking I'd get a chance to see them to seeing them 3 times in about 6 months.  They're wonderful live so I was pleased at my luck.  And so I found myself in New York having not seen them for 18 months when they announced a show for Brooklyn Vegan during CMJ ... the first song they played was "It's Thunder & Lightning" off their first album, and damn, was it good to hear that played live again.  I'd missed them.  They played the set as a threesome announcing that they wanted a holiday in New York before they started touring and this was the only way to do it.  They were loose and relaxed and they sounded great.

No comments:

Post a Comment