Thursday, October 14, 2010

Broken Social Scene @ Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver, October 13, 2010


There were very few Canadian bands that I liked when I was growing up.  I mostly liked British bands.  Over the years that didn't really change much.  As I started to discover more bands, I found quite a few from other countries that I liked but it was until about 5 or 6 years ago that I started to come across bands that I really liked that also happened to be Canadian.  Having lived about half my life in Canada, it amazes me that some of my favourite bands now are actually Canadian.  This is a novelty for me.  And of those bands who happen to be Canadian that I really like, Broken Social Scene were one of the first that I discovered.  For a collective, the lineup's been relatively consistent every time I've seen them (i.e never with Feist, Emily Haines or Amy Millan).  With a great collection of songs to pull from, I've yet to be disappointed with one of their shows and when they're on, they're about as good as you can get.  Brendan Canning, their bassist, and I went to high school together ... and we never spoke.  I knew who he was (he drove a purple bug which I always thought was really cool) but for whatever reason, our paths never crossed.  Had I known back then that he would be in one of my favourite bands (too) many years later, I would have made the effort to talk to him .... who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment