Sunday, October 17, 2010

Treasure Island Music Festival, San Francisco, October 16, 2010


I was looking into CMJ (in October in New York), pricing flights and hotels when I realised that a) a week in New York would be very expensive and b) I'd rather spend the money and go to SXSW.  There was a caveat though since SXSW is in March, I decided to go to Treasure Island in San Fran this year and SXSW next year.  Oh sure, logically, it actually cost me more but two trips are better than one, so I'm not complaining.  I wasn't really familiar with Treasure Island but it's a two -day festival on a disused military base in San Francisco Bay.  The bands for the Saturday were more ... I don't know, not my type of music and the deal was really sealed on the Sunday lineup.  The weather in San Francisco was in the high 20s (Celsius) in the week leading up to the festival and with a high of about 25C on the Friday that I flew in, I was optimistic for the weather to be good.  Sadly, it wasn't.  I made it out to TI early enough and caught Phantogram play a pretty good set.  My third time this year but they've added a drummer and sounded great.  I also caught Four Tet who sounds good but who doesn't talk and is well, boring to watch live.  I guess it's not really the point of his set but when you're cold and getting colder and you've got about 3 hours to wait until the next band you really want to see (Miike Snow and then LCD Soundsystem) suddenly the appeal of sticking around with a bunch of Deadmau5 fans loses its lustre and well, I bailed.  To make matters worse (although it was kind of cool), I bumped into James Murphy at the ferry building on Sunday morning and told him that I was a big fan (he's terrific live) but that I was a complete wimp and didn't stick around for his set.  He was really nice about it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment