Monday, October 18, 2010

Treasure Island Music Festival, San Francisco, October 17, 2010



 



Having bailed early on the Saturday, my mantra for Sunday was 'I will stick around until The National play'.  This was repeated frequently when I got absolutely drenched walking to get the shuttle bus.  The rain wasn't too bad, it wasn't windy (yay) and it finally let up in the early afternoon.  I didn't mind it that much, though, because Sunday turned out to be a pretty great day of music.  First up were The Mumlers, a local San Fran band, who I'd never heard of but who turned out to be pretty good.  Next up were Ra Ra Riot who I've seen a few times and who are always solid live.  Papercuts were next and they are in my humble opinion highly underrated.  Their album 'You Can't Go Back' is one of my all time favourites and their set was terrific.  An absolute highlight of the weekend.    Superchunk were next and although their tour got alot of blog love recently, it was the first time I'd really heard of them and ... I don't think I missed out.  I was next faced with a dilemna - watch She & Him to get a good spot for Broken Social Scene and the National or go check out Surfer Blood on the other stage.  I stayed for She & Him ... he (M Ward) is okay but she (Zooey Deschanel) - well, I'll be polite and say I'm not even a fan of her as an actress.  But it worked out because I got right up front for Broken Social Scene who were solid as usual and then for The National who I love.  I ended up sticking around for Belle & Sebastian - front row spots are not easy to give up - and actually really enjoyed their set.  All in all, a pretty great day of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment