Saturday, March 5, 2011

Devotchka @ Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver, March 4, 2011


Like most of their fans, I first discovered Devotchka because they were on the soundtrack to Little Miss Sunshine and in particular the song, 'How It Ends'.  I'd seen them once before, in May 2008, so was quite excited to get the chance to see them again and ... wow, they were outstanding.  There's only 4 people in the band but they all play at least 3 instruments.  And really, what's not to love about a band that includes a tuba, stand up bass, accordian, trumpet and violin.  All played by wonderful musicians who were clearly enjoying what they were doing.  And as for the crowd ... no smoking, no pushing or shoving, nobody got in my way or stepped on my toes or spilt beer and they were just generally basking in the glow of a group or artists on top of their game.  One of the best gigs I've been to.  Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment